On March 28, 2019, the Fort Bragg Police Department was notified that Duane Lawrence had not been in contact with family members since January 29, 2019. As of November 26, 2019, Duane Lawrence has not been located and is still listed as a missing person in the National Missing and Unidentified Persons System. Below is a summary of the investigation up to this point:
- – Lawrence’s last contact with family was on January 29, 2019, via cellphone. During that conversation, Lawrence stated he was at the Dollar Tree store in Fort Bragg, CA.
- – Lawrence last accessed his known bank account on January 29, 2019 at Safeway in Fort Bragg, CA prior to the last known call to his family.
- – Prior to his last contact, Lawrence had been classified as transient since approximately November of 2018. From November to January, it is believed that Lawrence stayed with friends or camped around the Fort Bragg area.
- – Lawrence’s bicycle was found by a family member near the dumpsters at the Paul Bunyan Thrift Store (350 S. Main Street). The family member secured the bicycle intending on returning it to Lawrence when he was contacted. During the investigation, Officers and family members received third-hand information that Lawrence may have been contacted near or sleeping in the dumpsters at the Paul Bunyan Thrift Store near the time of his disappearance. This information could not be verified due to the inability to identify the individual who allegedly contacted Lawrence at the location.
- – According to friends in contact with Lawrence prior to his disappearance, his health was declining and he may have had difficulty walking. At least one individual familiar with Lawrence described his mental state as declining.
- A search of Lawrence’s cellphone confirmed that he was in the area of the Dollar Tree when he last contacted his family on January 29, 2019. Lawrence’s cellphone continued to be used for both texts and calls through January 30, 2019. The cellphone was last used on January 30, 2019 at 10:06 p.m. It is believed that final call was Lawrence attempting to contact a local homeless/transient friend. That individual has been contacted and they indicated they do not recall seeing Lawrence around the time of his disappearance. Cell tower location data related to that phone call and several calls prior to it showed that the calls were possibly made somewhere northwest of the 200 Block of Walnut Street in Fort Bragg. This could have placed the cell phone in the general area of the Paul Bunyan Thrift Store.
- – Lawrence’s cellphone also attempted contact with (707) 800-3093 and (707) 595- 2241 on January 30, 2019. It is believed that the two numbers are associated with the same individual. Any information related to the owner(s) of the above phone numbers may be forwarded to Sergeant O’Neal at the contact information below.
- – Duane Lawrence is approximately 5’09” tall and he weighed approximately 180 pounds when he went missing. Duane has brown hair and blue eyes and commonly maintained a full-beard prior to his disappearance. Duane has a tattoo of a dragon near his right shoulder.
Anyone with information related to this investigation should contact Sergeant O’Neal at (707) 961-2800 ext. 120 or by e-mail at email@example.com. Anonymous tips may be left on the anonymous Crime Tip Hotline at (707) 961-3049.